16 December 2011

Is FASD Lead By Canada’s MLA’s, Re: Pumped Up Liquor Stores

Well not all MLA’s. There are a group who take the issue with urgency and just because of the name of any party, what needs to rise above the divisions of our parties is the coalition against our greatest birth problem: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). I must revert to my blog entitled: FASD Letter From Canada's Liberal Health Critic. I have had the pleasure of meeting Hon. Dr. Hedy Fry P.C., M.P. and I love her for her attentive, constant effort to bring a light to our House of Commons members regarding what I call, “the Great Problem.”


I walked into a liquor store in Richmond Centre, BC, and was amazed at what I saw. Let me tell you how this BC Liquor Store branch sells their alcoholic beverages:


How Spirits are Sold:

Over the “Spirit” section (Whiskey, Scotch, Vodka) I see “Get Into The Spirit,” written in neon letters 15-feet long and 18-inches high.

Prepared by distillation from fermented substances such as fruits, vegetables, grains, sugar cane, cactus juice, etc., containing at least 40% pleasure - the highest buzz for men and within the tempting grasp of pregnant women since "only a splash will do."


How Wine is Sold:

Over the wine section I see “A Get Away,” written in neon letters 13-feet long and 18-inches high.

Crushed grapes from the hotspots of the world fermented with cultured yeasts and sugars before racking, fining, filtering aging to a range of alcoholic percentages and bottled smartly for the taste buds of pregnant connoisseurs.


How Wine Coolers are Sold:

Over the cooler section I see, “Refreshments,” written in neon letters 15-feet long and 18-inches high.

Pre-chilled ingredients using a malt type of alcohol, filtering it until there's little taste left and then flavoring it heavily with sugar and juice to create a similar flavor to the perfect  gut-rot wine cooler especially made for poor alcoholics and pregnant friends and then of course high end coolers for women in general when “spirits” are "a little too much."


How Beers of the World are Sold:

Over the beer section I see, “Good Times,” written in neon letters 11-feet long and 18-inches high.

The worst of the worst for the cheap drunks and the group partiers through steeping cereal grains in water and then fermenting them with yeast creating frothy, sometime gut-rot beers at 8% for poor drunks and pregnant friends.



“Get Into The Spirit,” “A Get Away,” “Refreshments,” “Good Times,” all designed to allure and tempt experimentation and also to sell, sell, sell. How can our Canadian Government use these slick, sick ploys to engeander greater sales and then throw national ads on TV’s telling us to drink responsibly?

Wake up government of Canada. You play a great role in the FASD crisis our country faces. Maybe the greatest role because if you go to a government liquor store, all the pleasure is cheaper. Who’s pushing the booze and then hiding regret with “drink safe” ads? Our government. (Except the few.)

The vulnerable are being sucked in and once inside the feeling is soooo good. You know you are doing it. My question is, “Why?”

My proposal is to hike up those prices like the cold beer and wine stores and start spending money on FASD commercials. These are the ones that will reduce our number one cause of, as Dr Fry knows as, “mental retardation.”

My final words to the fetus: OK, the hunger strike failed as it was destined to do. I didn't mind though. I felt you then. When I was alone in front of the TV and tears came out. I felt you then. When I walked into that liquor store. I felt you then. Without the smarts and the resources, I apologize. And as I end this letter, I feel you now. I promise - others feel you too. Don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment