9 June 2011

Who Put's the "Ad Clothes" On?

When I say "ad clothes," I mean something effective, shocking or very emotional must be in ads in order for them to be effective. That's easy to agree on because if I asked you right now to think of an ad against drunk driving, M____ will come to mind. See, I didn't even need to write it out. The "MADD ads" have clothes on. The most important characteristic is: "ad clothes" are compelling and must spell out tragedy (real or presumed) in some way that other people's brains can connect with easily and strongly.

In order to demonstrate the power of ads I decided to compare MADD Ads, Anti-Smoking Ads, Anti-Drug Ads and then finally, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Ads we all might have seen if we live in Canada or the USA. You decide who wears ad clothes as we move on.

After that, I'll present some of my own FASD Ads.

So first off: MADD

A new progressive approach by Vancouver Police to spot drunk drivers was carried out. Not just that – the alcohol limit went from .08 to .05. That means one drink could end in a criminal charge against the driver. I believe MADD was the driving force behind these and many other anti-drinking actions carried out by our Canadian government. They create ads we remember. Check out this drunk driver ad. If you've never seen it before, I bet you'll never forget it:


Look, MADD uses blood and gore! Here are a few more ads:



                                                              Lakita Williams Age 16

Now let's look at cigarette ads:

Cigarette packs have dreadful warnings on them. New laws are being passed faster. First, no smoking indoors, then no smoking outside coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Cigarettes are hidden from public view in stores that sell them. And now it’s illegal in Vancouver, at least, to smoke on the sidewalk or to throw cigarette butts on the street. Though the latter is not strongly enforced right now, it will be, eventually because the last law says that one must only smoke 5 meters (16 ft) from any building. In other words, one have to smoke in the middle of the street to be legal.

In the following cigarette ads, the government has a strong medical case against smoking and therefore appeals to the rational, logical part of our healthy side. The ugliness of it is a bonus for those who should not start in the first place. I'm talking about the pics on cigarette jackets (12 in all). I do, however have to stay in line with pregnancy so the first images on our cigarette packs are:


But then we go from that previous "drinking gore" to "smoking grotesque":



Now let's look at anti-drug ads:

They can be very graphic and can sometimes give a “sick in the stomach” feeling. I believe these ads are directed to parents and older kids (12 yrs?) in schools and the street people who are not yet addicted – even professional people and families as well as pregnant moms. I’ll admit, I don’t really see a lot of these ads but certainly have seen drug reality on the streets of Vancouver and in it's transit systems. But check these out on the validity score on effectiveness:

(Just so you know, the top pic has a man on her. Yeah, he's on her and she believes it's the best way to go in her circumstance, to be the toy for a pervert opportunist; to get more methamphetamine.) 


Now everything changes. Forget all about all the fuss with drama, blood and death. We are heading into the "FASD Ads" portion of this demonstration. The angle on saving fetuses isn't blood and gore, but more like, "Smarten up already!" This is a touchy place for gore so I believe the focus is to draw in and deliver a potent, short message. Ads for FASD have to be very serious and unbendable and should suggest, in my case, a strong statement for the fetus. An effective "shake 'em up" ad is totally possible. Unfortunately it is far easier to see pictures of the aftermath of giggling FASD children than it it to find a powerful ad like the Madd ads, etc. (Obviously I'm Googling images.) So look at this Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Ad:


Not even barely finding any FASD ads, the above looks like a business card. And the caption is only half the mental picture. "OK," I say,"So you wish your mommy didn't drink when she was pregnant with you." "And..." Where's the other half? Where's the doom? Where's the tragedy? How am I motivated by this? It doesn't even look nice. Hey, if I'm not impressed, engaged, pulled in by an ad, I could care less about it. Maybe that's just me but look at a couple more. (They really are not easy to find.):


Just to be sure you are aware (above), there is a pregnant woman on the left and a man on the right. The clarity of the ad was like this when I found it but I imagine you can read it since I can read it. I would rate this ad as "not bad," but it causes one to have to think. Is the answer "3 people will be adversely affected," or is it "1 person will be adversely affected"? Adverse, (thanks to free online dictionary by Farlex), means "contrary to one's interests or welfare." So while some of you may conclude that three people (2 adults 1 fetus) are adversely affected, I conclude that only 1 of them is adversely affected, the fetus. If the big people want to go ahead and adversely kill themselves, that's their business. But it becomes everybody's business when there is a fetus involved.

I simply can't find any more FASD ads worthy of mention. Try 2 more anyway:


You know, after looking at this ad, we really can't be sure of the message in the above. To me, it is like another half-ad. It says, "Guess what I'm telling you?" Even though we already know what the answer should be because of this blog, "Don't drink while pregnant," there is nothing at all in this FASD ad that says, "Don't drink while pregnant!" Nothing! She's got her hand on her tummy. What?...is she making the fetus feel better? Maybe the ad is saying that one drink will not harm your baby for all I know. Now I'm exagerating yet, for this ad I say, "Good try."


OK. This one has me. After seeing this ad, I'll never drink again during pregnancy. Really? A warning, this lovely, picturesque ad, absolutely cannot be taken seriously. And they are using "here's to" as a drinking salute to "alcohol free." The lady has an apple in her hand. What's up? No danger there. To put it bluntly, this an awfully ineffective ad. It's only nice to look at. For a second.


Still me here...

So if you trust that I did not try to put any bias into my picture selections and that I tried to stick to topic, than can you agree that everyone has put the "ad clothes" on except FASD? Can you feel that FASD Ads are only half-ads, as I call them? Can you agree that the FASD Ads are not very effective?

Now I'd like you show you a few of my FASD ads. I'm not asking you to agree or disagree or like or dislike the ads, but do they meet the "ad clothes" criteria? In your opinion? Reply at bottom of blog if you should feel so inclined. So here are the four and I'll admit the bottom one needs a bit more effort:


It took me three or four tries to get the dandelion right with the camera. Yes, I do all my own grphics.


This next ad might be a bit busy but I'd use it as a bus ad. Certainly not a billboard.



I guess I'll end this here. Hope you have found some insight as to why FASD isn't stopping. I believe it is all about advertising. In fact, an MLA in Ottawa has recently Emailed me that the statistic has been confirmed to have risen to 10 out of 1,000 births from 9 out of 1,000. Still a guestimate but it is definitely rising. It's no wonder why. Too many people who have the power to do more, are not. True, according to my Ottawa friend, the government has FASD on the back burner. That includes support. He also mentioned that they may never get to it, at least while he's in office. That says a lot. An honest answer from Ottawa (Parliament). That's why I always say Canada should be ashamed. Not to my MLA friend. To everyone in Canada. What's wrong that we can't think or even attempt to become informed about what the fetus' needs are?; how the fetus must feel inside; and the helplessness.

Guess I'll to do it for the lazy ones. Still waiting for the million dollars that I will need for the first 3 years of the organization that will curb the rate of FASD. Come and help me rich people who care about Canada's #1 birth defect. I will honor your donation with everything I/we have and can do and can live for. We need a smart Canada. Zero drinks for nine months. We'll be there.


Let the fetus do its job of becoming your baby.

No booze. No drugs. Being Real.
Fetuses Against FASD

Twitter: @fetuswinning


"The New Pregnancy Vision"
Comment Below...feel feel

No comments:

Post a Comment