6 April 2011

Poem To a Friend

Like I pointed out, some FASD children will not see happiness. In fact many develop chronic depression and bi-polar, etc. It is for these that I wrote this poem, not just for my sad friend, Susan, but for all who know what I'm talking about. The life of despair for some people who live with FASD is insurmountable at times, especially for those who don't even know they have FASD.

Here was/is my poem for a sad friend:

"Dream, My Sad Friend, Dream"

Dreams.
Amid despair.
I let them content me
when their colors light my sky.

Because oppression sweeps fast
that precious landscape.
So unwelcome,
yet so familiar its many faces.
From deceiving shadows of promise,
to war-torn winces of exasperation,
to...
Oh, please don't comfort my world that way.
I can't stand those faces in my silly human mind.
They're just more tears to wipe away.

Then you sit before me.
And I look into your eyes.
From within,
a dream causiously seeps.
It so desperately wants to come out and play
just a few extra moments each time before returning
from this ignorant world.

Damn! Should your heart open up and
bleed on an ignorant world.
For what?

Never-the-less, I urge you, tell me.
Every scrap.
And maybe at least, I will undertsand you.
Lest I forget not the hurt,
but the need to be sensitive to your dream.

Try, dear friend.
For in the coiling of the flesh,
a spirit gropes
to meet with that which maims.
For hate.
For love.
For sweeter dreams.

Oh beauty
when washed one more time, the filth.
This time a little cleaner,
a shade brighter than the last.
Despite the infliction, the effort prevailing,
and the torment, freeing.
Slowly freeing within the eyes of dreams.

And as another soul stands by,
it maybe learns that any dream can be reached,
by any one.

For there will be, you.
Beautiful you in all your glory,
with a tear in one eye for the triumph,
one in the other
for the pain still lurking there.

And after everything,
you'll sense that connection,
when you hear your friend screaming:
Maybe learning something about dreams.



Let the fetus do its job of becoming your baby.


No Booze. No Drugs. Being Real.

 

Comment Below...

No comments:

Post a Comment